This scholarship challenge aimed at middle school students (7th grade) is a great idea.
Students who complete one of five edX courses designed for advanced high school or college-level students will become finalists in Jack Kent Cooke Foundation’s prestigious Young Scholars Program, aimed at high-performing middle school students with financial need.
The courses, with start dates ranging from January 20 to February 10, include:
- Jazz Appreciation, from UT AustinX (Jan. 20)
- Frankenstein, from UC BerkeleyX (Feb. 2)
- Programming in Scratch, from HarveyMuddX (Feb. 2)
- Introduction to Environmental Science, from DartmouthX (Feb. 3)
- Super-Earths and Life, from HarvardX (Feb. 10)
The foundation usually receives 1,000-2,000 applications for the program each year; about 500 typically qualify as semifinalists.